- Is Digital Transformation only for the big institutions
- Should we transform a Training Organisation in totality or only the skill learning component
- Are schools ready for MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses)
- Should we integrate Student Management with LMS in Higher Education
Session Moderator: Mr. Aditya Malik, CEO & MD-Talent Edge & Senior Partner-Lumis Partners
- Dr. Antriksh Johri, Director-IT & CISO, Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)
- Prof. Dr. Dwarika Uniyal, Assistant Dean, & Executive-Education, IIM Kashipur
- Mr. Gopal Devanahalli, Senior Vice President, Manipal Global Education
- Mr. Sreenivasan Ramakrishnan, Co-Founder, CL Educate (Career Launcher)
As an introduction to the session, a short film about a toddler playing with an IPad thrown among a few print magazines, was shown; and naturally the toddler liked the response of the icons on the IPAD that open new windows when pressed upon and not the print media that was passive and did nothing on pressing the photos on it! And was told that child of future will naturally make his choices….
I was not in consonance to this way of looking at digitization of education. It is very important to really understand a human being first, to know where to introduce, what to introduce and when to…
About a decade or two, children were branded as couch potatoes addicted to television. A family had one television and every one fought for the remote. Circa 2017, there are as many personalized entertainment gadgets in hand, as as many people in the home !! Children do not want to move out to play….. on the other hand, a young doctor of 24 complains about 72 hours of non-stop duty in the hospital. Imagine the fitness needed from a young doctor ! Will you get that if you thrust the Ipad to a 7-month old?
The human being is the most creative and intelligent being that has ever been created by the almighty. A child has so many intelligences and we intend to confine the child to playing with icons? One of the popular theory of Multiple intelligences propounded by Mr. Howard Gardener, talks about eight of them that a human being is naturally born with –
Unless we do not facilitate the child to blossom in all these intelligences, we lose out on of the greatest creation that god has bestowed on this world – creative, thinking human being.
Of course, digitization can help in personalization of learning, but we should know when we should introduce and what quantum and which features.
A FEW FUNDAMENTAL QUESTIONS you need to ask yourself, to understand underlying principles of learning-
- What percent of what we have been taught we apply? What do we apply?
- The audience responded …less than 20%
- We apply more of what we learnt in the playgrounds and other arenas where we were involved in action and learnt a great deal.
- What percentage we learnt from teacher, what percentage we learn from friends?
- Here again, majority of what we learnt is from discussions and interactions, not from a lecture that is made boring by most teachers. Of course, there are brilliant exceptions
- How many teachers do we remember fondly and why?
- We were very good in those subjects where teacher showed affection and compassion.
- We naturally want to perform well in those subjects and took interest
And HOW MUCH do we retain or recall of what we have been exposed to?
- What we hear….10% retained
- What we read….30% retained
- What we see…..40% retained
- What we do……70-80% retained
So whatever we create in the learning process, we need to lay emphasis on hard-core hands-on experience that the learner will retain for his life-time.
Why do we need Digitization of Education?
- To learn at your own TIME and SPACE
- To reach the best of the faculty and learning process to the remotest learner
- Revisiting the important or to understand, as many times as you want
- Engaging the learner enough to help him understand and imbibe
- Ability to create a variety of resources at the learners disposal
As CL Educate what has been your experience?
- 2000 AD: compasscom : The supplementary and complementary web-based facilitation for school education beyond class VI
- synchronous and asynchronous modes
- 2001 AD Facilitated Live sessions on various subjects . …even biology, with a lot of animation and graphical representation of processes was used then
- engaging content, desktop/laptop
In 2005 created even a virtual chemistry lab – catering to the US schools under no child left behind program
Over the years mobility has come to play a central role
- Over the last two decades the digitization processes in CL Educate has helped to
- Create enough resources online to engage every learner
- conceptual learning, demonstrating the concept
- applying to understand
- practice to master
- engaging with fellow learners to feel good and also share and learn
– discussion rooms, forums,
- Ability to facilitate upward of 3000 students in a single session, at times
- Enough Success stories created
– across the segments
– study at home students CAT/ LST…
– schools …using
- Create enough resources online to engage every learner
What is the Role of a teacher in the digitized world? One has to be a
– An eager learner all the time;
– courage to fail as he pushes his boundaries
– Have humility to unlearn and learn, even from students
– Ability to be an ideator, generate ideas and implement them
– Of course a facilitator to even those who are learning from huge geographical distances
– Create MOOCs
What sort of Impact on learners in CL Educate endeavours
– test prep … Night classes, huge numbers attend to these classes every day from comfort of home
– any time anywhere… having mobile resident modules as well as ability to log into live sessions even while on the move
What Future trends do you see…..
Disruptive technologies will bring huge shifts in the entire learning cycle. We will see the impact of a few of the following technologies very soon..
– virtual reality, augmented reality
– machine learning
– deep learning
Filed under: Education, education system, Inspirations, Learning and facilitation, Mobile, Movement in Education, Teachers, technology | Tagged: Aditya Malik, Antriksh Johri, career launcher, CL Educate, CL Night Classes, Compassbox, Digital transformation of education, Digitization, Dwarika Uniyal, education, Franchisee India, Gopal Devanahalli, Indian Education Congress 2017, R.Sreenivasan, Sreeni, srini | Leave a comment »